Monday, May 2, 2011

One Two Punch

Well, I barely could gather my thoughts regarding the death of the prominent religious figure, David Wilkerson, when reports came in about the death of Osama Bin Ladin. So, now to wade through all of the far reaching impacts and meaning behind both men.

First, David Wilkerson, is an icon of peace, tolerance, and second chances. He was the author of Cross and the Switchblade known for his radical work with gang members and street preaching. Eventually, he founded Teen Challenge providing a safe haven and refuge from drug addictions with this program steeped in faith and the delivering power of God. Pastor of Times Square Church, David Wilkerson delivered what some would describe as prophetic sermons while effecting his community by helping the homeless. For him to pass as a result of a car accident, it was to me as if someone punched me in the stomach. My thoughts were, "How could this happen? and Why so tragically?" Car accidents are not the way noble creatures are suppose to pass from this world to the next, in my opinion. Nonetheless, that is exactly what happened and my thoughts were and are the world will experience a great void from his absence.

Before I could even catch my breath, the second punch came this morning with the notification that US Forces had found, executed, and buried at sea Osama Bin Laden. Despite the fact that (in my opinion) Osama is in a completely different category of man than David Wilkerson, I found myself hesitant to be as jubilant as others. I know the man was responsible for the torture and deaths of numerous souls. I have not forgotten what happened on September 11, 2001 at his command. However, I cannot find it in myself to celebrate since I know as many others do that this is neither a cure all nor the end of the violence. We as an American people should not be naive to think that there is not someone just as passionate about the cause as what Bin Ladin was; and possibly even more so now that he has been "martyred" in his followers' eyes.

I can find it easier to breathe, however, when I look at it in the sense of a balancing of the scales. The world felt the void of a righteous man's passing; but we can be somewhat relieved that a bit of evil was overcome. Call it the duality in me; but it makes it easier to recover from this "one two punch".

1 comment: